Stilton and port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

xxxMonique Heinemans

Stilton and port

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

A few weeks ago, in a big supermarket I saw something I had never seen before.
They had this large stilton on a wooden shelf. On top, in the middle they had stuck a bottle of port upside down into the stilton. The shop-assistant told me that it would take a few weeks for the port to ooze into the stilton.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to buy or taste it (it was sold out by the time I got there again!!).
Normally I do like the combination, so I wonder if this would even be better?
Anyone ever tasted this?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have heard of this on several occasions but never have seen it nor tasted it.

I bet it is better than those small cheesy nut encrusted Port wine cheddar cheese balls.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've tried it once because I'm a big fan of Port. I have to say that I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but this one was not too bad and it really enhanced the taste of the wine and port that followed, especially the lenght of the finale. It was a stilton macerated with graham's six grape.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Fred,

So what did you think of all the Serra de Estrella you got to try in Portugal?

I think that pairing with Port rocks compared to Stilton. Sadly it is $40 a pound here!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

It used to be popular in the UK to serve Stilton by scooping it from the middle of a whole cheese and to keep filling the hole with Port. (I've never had it that way and never even seen it done but it may still happen in some of the traditional London clubs.)

The purpose was to moisten what is often a dry and crumbly cheese, if it's a young one of poor quality, but seems a pointless way of spoiling a good one and wasting a good Port at the same time!

Stilton is now a protected name and the cheese can only be made within a defined area in the Midlands of the UK. Cropwell Bishop Dairy is a regular prizewinner and their cheeses are notable for a creamy texture and mellow flavour that's not too salty. Perfect with a VP!
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

I agree with David - Cropwell Bishop just beats Colston Bassett for the ultimate pairing with port. It is sometimes difficult to get, but Fortnum & Mason and Waitrose usually have it in England.

I like the port plus stilton "experience", let us call it in a modern cheesy way - they go so well. However, I don't think you can evaluate/score port with stilton as it is too strong and salty to pick up the subtle layers - too much stilton and all port can end up tasting the same. When I evaluate port with a view to buy at a tasting, say, I always avoid the stilton and just go for the tried-and-tested Carrs biscuits option to clense the mouth.

From many years ago (well, my youth in the 80s) I remember shop in Brighton that I think used to do that port-flavoured stilton thing. I think it was an 80s thing and has gone out of fashion now.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Fred,

So what did you think of all the Serra de Estrella you got to try in Portugal?

I think that pairing with Port rocks compared to Stilton. Sadly it is $40 a pound here!
Yes Very good! I haven't found any yet in Montreal. Portuguese cheese is very good, I ate a lot, especially fresh goat cheese. There was a very good selection of cheese at Vasco de Gama wine shop in Valença do Minho.

Roy, have you tried some marmalade "marmelada" made from quince while in Portugal. Luis at Niepoort made me discover that. On a slice of cheese it is just amazing, a friend of mine stole me what I had brought back when I made him discover that at my last tasting :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, I had quince the first time I went to Portugal ... which was my first time ever tasting it. I have had it on each of my subsequent trips. Wonderful stuff.
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

For those of us unfortunate people who can't stomach strong or blue cheeses, what would you recommend as an alternative pairing?

I went to a port class a month or two ago and was served gorgonzola mixed with a touch of water and crushed walnuts to make a spread, put on a slice of bread and topped with a pear.

Interesting combination, but the gorgonzola just didn't do it for me. There were a few other folks who had the same reaction. The pear and walnuts and pecans met well though.

Mike.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

How about Cambazola which is a German cheese which combines the likeness of Camembert and Gorgonzola in a smooth and creamy style with just a hint of the blue flavors.
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

I know several Americans who swear by VP with chocolate but I couldn't possibly comment.
pgwerner

Post by pgwerner »

Kerrnel - If you have access to a cheese shop that lets taste cheese before buying, you might want to give Stilton a try. (Presuming you haven't tried it already.) Its actually one of the mellower blue cheeses out there - I like it, and I generally dislike strong blue cheeses.

In terms of cheese/wine pairing, I would think a cheese served with Port would need to be at least somewhat strong, as Port is such a potent flavor. (At least, if you want to be able to enjoy the cheese as well as the wine.) Cambazola is interesting recommendation - I don't think highly of it as cheese - its pretty bland, and probably doubly so with Port. On the other hand, I could see where it would make a really good palette-clearer when tasting multiple Ports.

Has anybody ever paired cheese with Madeira? I've never attempted it. I do like Malmsey with dark chocolate quite a bit, though.

Peter
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

you might want to give Stilton a try. (Presuming you haven't tried it already.)

Peter,

I'd offer you the same advice with Cambazola.
Alan Rath

Post by Alan Rath »

I agree with Stuart, that Stilton is too strong for pairing with port. I have this quandry that I love bleu cheeses in general, and Stilton in particular. But I've learned that any strong bleu cheese just obliterates my taste buds for many minutes, if not more, making it impossible for me to appreciate red wine. I personally don't worry too much about eating anything with Port, but nuts work for me (almonds, cashews, pecans in particular). Of course, there's always the traditional.... Whoppers :lol:

Cheers,
Alan
Stuart Chatfield

I think, for nuts, Walnuts go best. I prefer the Californian ones (or wherever they grow them in the US) as they are less damp and soft than UK or French ones.
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

There are a few snooty supermarkets in the area with rediculously large cheese counters, so I'm sure I can find some to try. I'll keep an eye out for the Cambazola and will try the stilton (never tried it before). Not a fan of strong cheeses though.

I've tried some Cadbury's dark chocolate with port and can't say I'm a fan. I've also tried it with milk chocolate. I can see the earhy sort of pairing with the dark chocolate, and in fact I would agree with most that it does "go well", but as with some other folks still, I don't like strong flavours with my port. I like the intensity of the port, and adding more intensity of a similar flavour overwhelms my taste buds, Upsets the balance, if you will.

Still, no harm in experimenting...

Mike.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I like aged gruyere with Port, Tsunami brought an absolute babe to the BBR tasting in August. However, I also like Stilton and have my eye on a half lying in my brother's store-room (half meaning cut horizontally so still round).

As for the above trick it does sound a bit 80s but hey, puff-ball skirts are back, Duran Duran are on tour and don't leg-warmers look comfortable?
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

KillerB,

I now have a very disturbing image of you in a puff-ball skirt, legwarmers singing Rio my head :shock: I need a drink to wipe it from my mind :lol: :lol:
Stuart Chatfield

Here we go then - the definitive scientific :roll: answer -

Seems to agree with my theory that whilst an enjoyable experience it does mask the most subtle falvours

http://www.decanter.co.uk/news/73330.html
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Kind of exactly how I view smoking cigars with Vintage Port: a waste of good wine.

Then again, with a Tawny ... I like the combo.