2004 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

2004 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

This bottle was opened with Luc side by side with Niepoort 2003 : http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... =12&t=5659

I really wanted to have this bottle since I got it in my cellar as I did not have the chance to taste it in the Douro. Still Luc never had such a young VP so it would be interesting to compare it with another young VP.

Since Axa acquisition, I can testimony that Noval is really working hard to get top of the line VP done with their fruit. They have incredible fruit purity, ripe but working with elegance at the same time trying to keep that peppery tannins impression with no alcool impression as too many does.

The nose is fresh, showing intense notes of blackberries and black cherries with black pepper in the background. The palate, the entry is smooth, supported by rich layers of ripe fruits, tannins are bold yet balanced with good those of the glyceryn texture showing the extraction and the acidity that eventually will take over to lead towards a more red fruits flavours finale with peppery notes coming back. I was really please to see that nervous VP made from Noval that reminded me some other bottle from the 80's having more acidity than many more VP, its great to see some house standing with tradition rather than making rather dull ultra ripe sensation VP in off vintage. 17/20 It only need a back bone to make this bottle getting better ranks.

2 days later, the acidity got tamed a little and the bold dark fruits are emerging with more intense green/black peppers flavours. Compared to Niepoort drank that same night, I would not retract any points to this VP.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Quinta do Noval Vintage 2004

Post by Roy Hersh »

I like this bottling and feel that in time it will reveal its "back bone" and you'll see the tannins through the trees, or rather the young and concentrated fruit. They are there, just need time to come to the fore and like many young Ports, are hard to discern unless they are in your face. We'll see. I think this is a solid bottling and certainly worth having been bottled.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Re: 2004 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Thanks for this TN Fred, I have seen this vintage around town and was wondering if it was worth picking up. I really, really, really liked the 2003 VP by Noval and was hoping that the 2004 might be near the intenity that I experienced with that one.

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I think 2003 is drinking easier today as the fruit is luscious and decandent. The 2004 is more classic VP style but as solid.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Frederick Blais wrote:I think 2003 is drinking easier today as the fruit is luscious and decandent. The 2004 is more classic VP style but as solid.
I may have to try the 2003 again then because when I last had it, it was an in-yer-face, bold, brash, killer VP that blew my socks off... Very tannic yet powerful. Fruity, yes, but loads of structure, complexity and just an "[ :roll: i]mmm, mmm, good[/i]" to it! :)

Now if only I could find the 2003 at a good price! ;)