1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Pick one or two weekends that work for you ... to join in our 1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

Poll ended at Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 pm

January 2,3,4
4%
January 9, 10, 11
17%
January 23, 24, 25
35%
January 30, 31 and Feb. 1st
43%

Total votes: 23

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

Post by Roy Hersh »

With this my 5,000th post here on FTLOP, I'd like to extend an invitation to all those that lurk or actively participate here at :ftlop: .

I have been considering getting back to my annual Port festivities in which I'd open a heck of a lot of great bottles from my cellar for those that enjoy Port of all sorts. From 1992 in DC to about 2003, I never missed a year. Since then, I have thrown sporadic Port tastings here in Seattle and have also hosted many a tasting around No. America. But it is time for a great weekend of real Port debauchery, with some young, old and rare bottles opened up in various formats too.

Everyone who has ever been a part of :ftlop: can join in the fun. The theme is wide open ... bring a fine bottle to share for each event you'll attend. There will be a minimum of 2 tastings and a good possiblity of 3. Depending on how many attendees we'll have, the festivities will be held at a restaurant or hotel. Once I get a feel for the number of people interested, I'll negotiate some great room rates at a convenient and comfortable, reasonably priced hotel here in the Seattle area.

This will turn into an annual event and should be a ton of fun and a great way to meet others from this Forum. Whether we have 5 of us or 100+ turn out, we'll make it work logistically and have a fantastic time with some mighty fine Ports and Douro wines along the way.

So, please feel free to express your thoughts on any particulars and respond to the attached poll so we can get a feel for the dates sooner rather than later. I have chosen January, because the flights for that time frame will be much lower than if I chose December with the holidays coming up. The weather here is fairly tame, with a good chance of rain ... (light rain typically) but we'll be indoors 99% of the time anyway. The sooner we have some consensus on dates, the quicker we can get to planning the details. Please let me know if there is anything that you think will make this more fun or easier for a larger group to attend.

I hope to meet many of you and see others that I rarely have the opportunity to greet in person! I can promise this is going to be one of the most fun Port weekend events held in 2009!

1. Roy Hersh - humble organizer and donator of a case of Port
2. Stewart Todd - I wouldn't miss it for the world
3. Andy Velebil - 93 bottles ... I'm there
4. Glenn Elliott - finally, I will be subjected to more than a half dozen bottles at once
5. Eric Ifune - You can count on me!
6. David Spriggs - Duh!
7. Moses Botbol - If Andy is going, I have to be there too, to represent the E. Coast
8. Kris Henderson - I live close and love Port
9. Sean Corrigan - committment-phobic, but probable unless ... I decide to watch the Super Bowl
10. Mark J. - looking forward to seeing you again
11. Todd Estroff - The good doctor knows and loves his Port and Madeira
12. Jay Powers - Have Port, will travel!

13. Michael Miller - A savvy retailer with a history for Port
14/15. Jeffrey and Laura Karp - will the Giants keep them away?
16. Rich Nigro
17. Richard Beeken - May take Todd P's place as the lone Edmonton participant
18.Eric Menchen - Deciding between skiing and a great weekend of Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sign me up..you know I'll be there. I do hope some other :ftlop: 'ers can make this...it would be great to meet them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Drat! I can only sign up for 2 weekends? :lol:

I picked the last 2, but if an event were held January 9-11 I'd be able to make it. I could probably even make January 2-4 but that close to New Year's might collide with family activities.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

agreed that the 2-4 is a tad too close to New years...a bad time due to work issues for me.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I voted for 30-31-1 but could also make it 10-11-12. I'm working the other weekends.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

No MLK Day option to take advantage of the three day weekend? Just a thought.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

On a holiday weekend, I'd lose our leverage in negotiating us an equitable deal on hotel rooms and the dining venues will be more crowded.

I hope you can make it one of the other weekends instead and I appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Sign me up! I think I can make just about any weekend but would prefer it not be the first weekend in January. I need time to recover from Xmas and New Years!

-Dave-
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Where is this being held?

What is the closest airport and its code?

What town should I be looking for accomodations in?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like the Seattle area to me, which means you want Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA).

The metro area is large enough that I can't give you a hotel recommendation without knowing more about exactly where Roy's thinking of holding it. Bellevue is pretty central to the entire area, though, and is one of the few cities on the east side of the lake that's well connected to the bus system, so if you really want to start looking now that's a decent place to start.
Glenn Elliott
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Sign me up. I selected the last two options but at this time, any weekend works.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

My odds of actually coming are less than 50%. But I just checked air fares and they are dirt cheap, so that's a good sign. I was just in Seattle a few months ago and didn't make it to all of my planned stops. I'd love to go back for those and some great ports. -Eric
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric,

I think those odds need to change more in your favor. You need to come this. What better way to have some great Ports and fun, and most importantly meeting the rest of us crazy :ftlop: 'rs :mrgreen: I know this will be a great time. How do I know? Looking at the cast of characters coming, rest assured that even if the world came to an end and all the Ports ended up being corked, you would still have the time of your life. So you need to come to this. How's that for peer pressure :lol: :lol:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Let's get the dates and place engraved in stone, then we can make decisions from there.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The place is Seattle and by the end of next week, we should have the dates carved in stone too. It is looking like the last weekend in January though. Don't book flights yet, nor a hotel -- as I will work on negotiating room rates in the coming weeks.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The wife said it sounded like fun, so odds are improving.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:The wife said it sounded like fun, so odds are improving.
Thats the spirit :winebath:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Pencil me in!
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Roy

sounds great, can you pencil me in, the later in the month the better, need to clear with the boss but should be OK! :lol: Will come out Thursday back Sunday night.
Would be great to do a Douro wine tasting as well!

Best Wishes

Christopher :salute:
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Actually looks like 26th works better on the flights :roll: