Multi: Assorted Vintage Ports

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Jamie Kutch

Multi: Assorted Vintage Ports

Post by Jamie Kutch »

Here are some notes I have taken over the year or so. I hope to be able to contribute here as much as possible. Thanks Roy - This should be a great place to learn more about Port. - Jamie
  • 2003 Graham Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/16/2005)
    Leaving NYC and moving to San Francisco; 7/16/2005-7/17/2005: I will certainly be buying this wine after tasting it from a cask sample Leslie opened. Practically overflowing from my glass with ripe succulant fruit. The tannins hold the foundation of this wine oh and I mention the fruit? Bursting with black concentrated notes. Yumm. (94 pts.)
  • 1986 Delaforce Porto Colheita - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/16/2005)
    Leaving NYC and moving to San Francisco; 7/16/2005-7/17/2005: With 2003 Graham cask sample and Inniskilin on the table I shot a glass on this Colheita and moved on.
  • 1945 Sandeman Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (6/27/2005)
    Very dark almost black in color. Rich, and dense. So youthful - the flavors are intense. The resolution of tannins was apparent but I guessed 1985 vintage. Incredible extraction and concentrated flavors. Amazing... Gorgeous Port, with strong, lush fruit, a smooth, elegant, seamless mouth feel.
  • 1991 Croft Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (4/21/2005)
    TN: OFFline: Pichon Baron VS. Pichon Lalande 1982, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, 2000 (NYC): Well balanced and a fine Port. This was decanted for almost 10 hours. Creamy notes of black cherry and vanilla notes. Not showing all it has and this has BIG potential. A delicious port with a great future. (92 pts.)
  • 1985 Taylor Fladgate Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (3/17/2005)
    Taylor 1985 Vintage & Copain Pinot Noir L'autumn (Cru, NYC): Black in color with brawny big black fruit spice and cigar box notes. The palate has firmness with its beefy, rich style. Descent fruit with apparent alcohol. Finishes ok - I would reach for a Grahams in this vintage instead. (89 pts.)
  • 1997 Warre Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (12/18/2004)
    Opaque dark purple-colored, full-bodied, with richness and peppery / licorice flavors. This should sit for another 15 years and might garner another few points. A perfect match with some delicious blue cheese from Australia. Thanks for both David. (92 pts.)
  • 1996 Lamborn Family Vineyards Zinfandel Port - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (11/16/2004)
    Last night Califonia Pinot and Syrah dinner with lots of notes (Bill Lawrence Sutton Place Apartment): Blackish heavy and thick high alcohol dessert wine. A delight. (89 pts.)
  • N.V. d'Arenberg Nostalgia Rare Tawny Port - Australia, South Australia, McLaren Vale (11/16/2004)
    Last night Califonia Pinot and Syrah dinner with lots of notes (Bill Lawrence Sutton Place Apartment): Amber color with flavors of maple syrup, nuts and sweet fruit. (88 pts.)
  • 1970 Fonseca Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (11/5/2004)
    London Italian Blowout.. 24 Tn's: (London): Black purple color its legs hung to my glass. This beast was decanted for 6 hours and still smelled and tasted like a barrell sample. Thick plums and spicy with a long balanced finish. This is a wine that will hold the test of time. 34 years old and still just a baby. Amazing finish to an amazing evening. (94 pts.)
  • 1963 Taylor Fladgate Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/27/2004)
    Wow - gorgeous fruit nose, alcohol is heavy and this wine still has several decades to go. Harmony, amazing creaminess to it along with great molasses, caramel, and earthy flavors. Stunning finish. (96 pts.)
  • 1985 Graham Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/27/2004)
    Wonderful. This wine has plenty of time still in it.. Great ripe fruit, alcohol on the finish. Integrated, - well made. By far the best 85 I have ever tasted. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
- Kutch
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jamie,

It is great to have a CA Pinot Noir winemaker here on the Port boards. As you know there are MANY similarities between the red Pinot Noir wines from CA, OR, NZ, AUS and of course Burgundy ... and Port! :lol:

In looking over your excellent TNs I noticed you don't score the wines you drink. Fair enough, but out of curiosity sake, any reason?

I am glad to have been able to contribute the oldest VP on your list. It was fun to bring that to SF and what a memorable evening with that fun crowd. I hope you'll come to Seattle and allow us to toast you with a great offline. I have 5 bottles in my cellar with your name on them and they ain't getting younger. Let's say 2006 would be a great year to drink 'em!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
KenBirman

85 Grahams

Post by KenBirman »

As it happens, I just opened a bottle of this port. Jammy, sweet fruit -- like a blueberry jam, extremely long finish. I like my ports on the sweet side and not too raisiny and for me, this is awesome. I bought a case last fall (and one of the 83) and right now, I'm a happy guy! (95 pts)