What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Dalva Colheita 1985
Dalva Colheita 1997
Dalva Golden White 1971 (500 ml)
Churchill LBV 2005
Taylor Fladgate LBV 2012
Croft VP 2011
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Scheiny S wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:
Scheiny S wrote: Maynard's [which i've never heard of but suddenly their products are all over our shelves]
Maynard's is in fact Barao de Vilar. Just a spin off brand for some products.
ah. thanks. i've never noticed any Barao de Vilar except a VP that was on sale a couple years ago. i asked here and was told it wasn't really worth even the sale price.
is Barao de Vilar/Maynard's generally worth looking at? several of their Tawnies are out now, i think 10 and 20.
Barão de Vilar run several different brands: Maynard, Barão de Vilar, Palmer, Feuerheerd and a few others. Fernando van Zeller (who is the current Barão de Vilar) heads up the firm. He has stated that there are two blends used in his company's labels, but I forget which brands contain the same blends.

Their real strength is in their tawnies. I'm not a tawny drinker but I was really, really impressed by the 10 year old tawny, which also recently came out top of a Decanter magazine tasting of 10 and 20 year tawnies. In the UK the Maynard 10 year old tawny retails for around £10. Currently I'm drinking a bottle of the Maynard 40 year old tawny which I bought at Christmas for £30. Both are amazing value for money. I also had a bottle of Maynard 1992 LBV at Christmas, which was very pleasant but not in the same class as either of the tawnies.

A long answer, but yes, Barão de Vilar / Maynard are definitely worth looking at.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

2015 Quinta do Crasto VP x12. I wonder if it tastes like my feet.
IMG_0688_sml.jpg
IMG_0688_sml.jpg (174.66 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:2015 Quinta do Crasto VP x12. I wonder if it tastes like my feet.
IMG_0688_sml.jpg
Would that be summer post hiking toe jam or winter ski boot toe jam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Would that be summer post hiking toe jam or winter ski boot toe jam?
Lazy day at Crasto toe jam. I would have been happy to hike up the hill from the river, but others in the group, not so much methinks.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2000 Cockburn's Quinta Dos Canais VP
1 x 2000 Warre LBV
1 x 2011 Fonseca LBV
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1970 Messias Quinta do Cachao VP 2x (@ well under €40 a bottle, I thought it was an acceptable gamble :D )
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:1970 Messias Quinta do Cachao VP 2x (@ well under €40 a bottle, I thought it was an acceptable gamble :D )
I would be very curios as to how these end up being. I've some older Messias Ports and they haven't held up all that well, but I've not had this one as far as I can recall.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Gerwin de Graaf wrote:1970 Messias Quinta do Cachao VP 2x (@ well under €40 a bottle, I thought it was an acceptable gamble :D )
I would be very curios as to how these end up being. I've some older Messias Ports and they haven't held up all that well, but I've not had this one as far as I can recall.
The price warrants a roll of the dice! If one old vintage may be good to go, it's 1970.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

1 x 1997 Grahams
1 x 1997 Vesuvio
1 x 2000 Vesuvio
1 x 1997 Smith Woodhouse
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2000 Magalhaes VP (I had never heard of this Port before I saw it in the store today. Read up on it in the Tasting Notes database here).
1 x 2012 Quinta da Romaneira LBV
1 x Sandeman 40 yo Tawny (owc)
1 x 2011 Fonseca LBV
1 x 2000 Cockburn Quinta do Canais
1 x Feuerheerd 20 yo Tawny
1 x Maynard 30 yo Tawny
1 x 2000 Warre LBV
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

3 x 2004 Dow Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira
2 x 1985 Fonseca VP
3 x 1985 Graham VP
stephane rich

Post by stephane rich »

Sandeman tawny 20,30 and 40 years
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

5 X Grahams 1975. Auction, $40
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Fonseca 1997 VP (Magnum). Just bought this at auction over here. I realised (about 20 seconds after the fact), that I overbid myself online by putting in a higher bid on the standing bid (which was my own written bid, that I put in earlier) [dash1.gif] :D :D . But at least I prevented another online bidder to sweep this one away from me (which happened to another lot on which I had a written bid). And the result in the end for the magnum is€100 (+ costs) which is not too bad I guess.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

5 x 1995 Smith Woodhouse Madalena purchased at auction.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Two bottles of 2012 Ramos Pinto LBV. Found at my local Trader Joe's for only $20 :)

Wish they had more at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote:5 x 1995 Smith Woodhouse Madalena purchased at auction.
I got 4! Love these for easy drinking.
Any Port in a storm!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

3 Fonseca bin 27 as it was on sale last month for $17. turns out the sale is on this whole month, too, so hopefully i'll be able to grab a few more to stock up.
Al B. wrote:
Scheiny S wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Maynard's is in fact Barao de Vilar. Just a spin off brand for some products.
ah. thanks. i've never noticed any Barao de Vilar except a VP that was on sale a couple years ago. i asked here and was told it wasn't really worth even the sale price.
is Barao de Vilar/Maynard's generally worth looking at? several of their Tawnies are out now, i think 10 and 20.
Barão de Vilar run several different brands: Maynard, Barão de Vilar, Palmer, Feuerheerd and a few others. Fernando van Zeller (who is the current Barão de Vilar) heads up the firm. He has stated that there are two blends used in his company's labels, but I forget which brands contain the same blends.

Their real strength is in their tawnies. I'm not a tawny drinker but I was really, really impressed by the 10 year old tawny, which also recently came out top of a Decanter magazine tasting of 10 and 20 year tawnies. In the UK the Maynard 10 year old tawny retails for around £10. Currently I'm drinking a bottle of the Maynard 40 year old tawny which I bought at Christmas for £30. Both are amazing value for money. I also had a bottle of Maynard 1992 LBV at Christmas, which was very pleasant but not in the same class as either of the tawnies.

A long answer, but yes, Barão de Vilar / Maynard are definitely worth looking at.
thank you so much!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

3x 1994 Warres Vintage Port, 750ml