Info on 1995 Quinta Da Roeda (by Croft)

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Info on 1995 Quinta Da Roeda (by Croft)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just picked one of these up and I know its a non-declared year, but I was wondering how long I should wait before drinking. Any suggestions or experience with this port?

Thanks, Andy
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

As Roy said a few times in other threads, the 1995 seems to be an undervalued year.
I have bought a bottle of Taylor and Fonseca and want to try them in a few weeks or so, when the temperature goes down. I've been looking to buy the Ferreira 1995 also, but can't find it in my country.
When they taste good, I'll buy more.
Can't help you on the Croft.

Monique.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

It has been 2 years since I last had the Roeda, but then I liked it a lot...not the most complex of Ports, but very tasty for sure! If you have more than one bottle I'd give it a go, but IMHO this will be a nicer VP to drink from 2010.

Monique, just make sure to decant those two WELL in advance, especially the Taylor - believe me, it needs it - I find it to be very hot and tannic, IMHO it will need quite some time to integrate...oh, and post your TNs!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I had it once, about two years ago. I remember it to be very pleasant, round and supple. Nice for drinking now and will be enjoyable while waiting for the Vargellas to come around.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thank you...I have only one bottle now, but may get 1-2 more.

Thanks again,
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

1995 was a "Cinderella year" when the big port shippers' dislike of consecutive vintages shows through.

Had there not been such a long gap since the 85's, 92 would probably have been a general declaration, and the 91's left to the second strings - as it was, a split vintage occurred with most opting for 91.

95 was probably good enough for a general declaration, but after the blockbuster 94's it stood no chance.

2001 is also looking unfairly neglected, and I will be looking closely at the 2004 second strings when they come on the market next year.

Let us know what you think of the '95!