Help me select a 2017 Vintage to lay down for my son's 21st.

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tim Swaback
Location: Hastings, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Help me select a 2017 Vintage to lay down for my son's 21st.

Post by Tim Swaback »

It's been a long time since I have perused this forum but the time has come for a return.

My firstborn arrived in 2017 and I have been thinking for a while now about laying down a bottle for when he turns 21 (And maybe a second for his 40th+?) Luckily it seems that good birth year produced some excellent Ports. I am looking for advice on which bottles to select for him. I would love to get my hands on a Noval Nacional but can't spare $1000+.

Which producer would you select in there +-$100 range?
Tim Swaback
John M.

Re: Help me select a 2017 Vintage to lay down for my son's 21st.

Post by John M. »

It has been a long time---welcome back.

My best advice is to look at Roy's 2017 Tasting Article in the newsletters--then use Wine-Searcher to locate bottles & price.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Welcome back!

As John said, peruse Roy's review of the vintage from issue 100-3 of the newsletter. He covers 70+ Ports and provides a handy Top 10 for purposes just like yours.

I've had close to 20 different Ports from the 2017 vintage at this point, and I'd have to say that my current "surprise standout" is the Niepoort. I typically like Niepoort's VP but don't love it, but the 2017 version manages to retain some of that distinctive Niepoort character while also being simply phenomenal. I recently tasted it head-to-head with both the Noval and the Noval Nacional, and liked it better than either. Truly special if you can find it.

If you can't find the Niepoort, I'm also partial to Graham's VPs, and the 2017 is wonderful. As is the 2017 Graham's Stone Terraces, but GST is usually closer to $200 - $225 like Taylor's Vargellas Vinha Velha, Vesuvio's Capela, or the new Croft Serikos.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

To add. 2017 Sandeman VP is awesome as well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Go for a case of 2017 Noval and a few bottles of 2017 Nacional
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I’d echo the advice that the Niepoort 2017 is something really special. I don’t buy Niepoort on release very often, but I certainly did for the 2017 vintage.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:47 pm To add. 2017 Sandeman VP is awesome as well.
Andy, more specifically, did you mean the 2017 Sandeman Quinta Seixo Vintage Port? Or did Sandeman also produce their regular Sandeman VP in 2017 as well?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the 2017 Niepoort VP is the star of the show. I have bought a bottle and plan to try it soon, but I plan on buying a few more and laying them down for awhile. I picked mine up for about $80, a decent price for what is said to be a top notch Port.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mont P Stern MD

Post by Mont P Stern MD »

Niepoort would be the best choice for the $100 range. However, 2017 has high quality across the board and I don't thing you would go wrong with whatever you can find locally.