What was the first Port you ever tasted?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Adam F

Post by Adam F »

A 66 Grahams I think at a mates 40th and then a Niepoort 2000 v.young and that was it the affair was sealed
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

1977 Taylor for me ..it was my drink of choice for New Years Eve one year over Champagne!
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

My first port (which I remember) was a Kopke 1994 VP .375 bottle which I enjoyed just after it's release. This prompted me to buy a number of bottles myself, which I still have in my cellar.

-L
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

I don't know the first bottle I had. The first serious port I purchased for the cellar was Niepoort Vintage Port 1992 in 1996. I was definitely hooked much later. I was the victim of Noval LBV 1997 unfiltered.

Cheers
Michael
Russell Webb

Post by Russell Webb »

Hello...First post here.

I actually entered the world of Port via the mysterious libation that is Madeira. I bought a basic Blandy's 5 year Malmsey but, while I enjoyed a glass or two, perhaps summertime in the deep South was not the best time to try out a Malmsey. I'm looking forward to cooler weather to finish the bottle as Madeira strikes me as a decidedly cool weather drink.

So....I decided to check out Port. Can't really explain why, but I decided on a Tawny to try first- Sandeman's to be specific. Now this was more to my liking and, after a few bottles, my natural curiosity led me to try and read as much as I could (hurrah for the internet!)

Then I decided I should try some LBV's and 10 Year Tawnies as these are generally well received and are within my budget to buy multiple producers.

In the end, the one that really blew me away and that I enjoyed immensely was the 2000 Fonseca LBV. I am going back through other 1998-2000 LBV's, but for now, my LBV yardstick is the Fonseca.

I guess the next step is to venture into the Vintage world as well as my limited budget will allow.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Russell

Welcome to FTLOP. Glad you found us and the Port bug. There is a great group of people here with a wealth of knowledge so feel free to ask any question, as the Port drinkers motto is "there is no such thing as a dumb question." I look forward to reading more posts from you in the future.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

A Niepoort LBV (year?) at an Englisch teaparty from a friend. We were with six girlfriends, five drank port, I had a glas of white wine. I tasted a sip from one of them..... and my addiction was born.....
I still like to drink Niepoort, wether it is a vintage, a colheita or a 20 year old tawny!
Jammie!!
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Some cheap supermarket BoB; don't know which one. The first true Port, the one that turned me into an addict, was an unknown bottling with just a splash of white paint on it. "My grandfather made this" my best friend in Vila Real told me at the time (we lived in the same house when we were studying there). I was hooked. It was most probably from the late 40ies / early 50ies, bottled by the Adega Cooperativa de Safins do Douro and made with grapes from their own vineyard. An amazing experience.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Monique,

You have good taste!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The first vintage port that I remember buying and drinking was a Malvedos 1979, that was purchased from the Quinta around 1989 and consumed on a boat on the Douro with friends we made on a week-long holiday cruise up the river and back.

But I'm lucky, I come from a family where port was not an unusual drink to have around the house and where I was given a glass of (watered down, at first) wine to go with my Sunday lunch from the age of six. I've tried to keep the tradition going with my children. My daughter turns her nose up at anything alcoholic but my son does enjoy the occasional small glass of vintage port when I'm drinking one in the evening. He prefers his port young and fruity rather than old and mature.

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Al B. wrote:... but my son does enjoy the occasional small glass of vintage port when I'm drinking one in the evening. He prefers his port young and fruity rather than old and mature.

Alex
Uh oh Alex. You may be stripped of your UK citizenship for admitting to too many people, especially on some other sites, ;) that you are allowing your son to develop this bad habit. I'm talking of course about the drinking VP young! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Todd
Michael C.

Post by Michael C. »

My first port was the R.L. Buller & Son (Aussie) Fine Old Tawny. It pains me to admit that because I've become so adamant about how "true" ports come from Portugal. That first taste of port was only about two years ago. And since that time, I've worked my way "up" pretty quickly ... first I tried lots of "fine" tawnies (Portuguese and imposters), then I started branching out to rubies and slightly aged (10 year) tawnies. It was then that I decided the only way to truly learn was by traveling to the source. So, I packed a bag and went to Portugal for two weeks. When I returned, I carried all of my clothes in a plastic grocery bag so there was room in my suitcase for the port I "smuggled" back to the US. It was then that I realized what a problem I had developed... ;)
David L.

Post by David L. »

Well, to be honest I tried Port when I was around 6 years old (just in the lips). I know that it was sweet :) after that I waited until I was 18... and it worth!!!
Vintage 2007
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

1st VP : Taylor Vargellas 1991
Decanted 8 hours . Excellent
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Bill Crann

Post by Bill Crann »

I think I had a few ruby's which weren't memorable at all but the epiphany experience was a Taylor LBV I had with my wife to cap off a nice dinner shortly after we were married. I still like Taylor LBV's, but now I have a jaded palate and will generally sacrifice frequency for quality (VP's over LBV or ruby).

Even though the first good port I tasted was a Taylor LBV, the first ports I actually bought were '83 Dow and '83 Graham's VP which I still haven't opened. I've been carrying them around like they're sacred relics since they represent the first wine of any type I "collected". Next year I plan to open the '83 Dow on my birthday (21Jan) when the Port will be 25 years old & I'll be almost twice that old. It will be educational as well as pleasurable. I'm anxious to see how the early years of sub-optimal apartment storage may have affected the wine. Glad I didn't get serious until I had a proper basement.
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Porto Rocha Vintage 1977. In Portugal.

Years ago when visiting Lagos, Portugal, I spoke to a lady behind a desk in a wine store and asked her about port. She said 1977 and 1994 were the best years. I know I didn't pay much for mine - but that was when my first love for port was born.

BTW, Lagos is beautiful and a cool little town to visit. If you ever get the chance, go. Along the waterfront, the best piri-piri chicken I have ever had too.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Russell,

Welcome to FTLOP! Glad you stopped by and I hope you will continue to visit whenever possible.

I will be hosting a Port tasting class down in Atlanta early in 2008 at the Atlanta Wine School. Stay tuned for more information about this very special tasting with 3 VP horiztontals included. Very educational, to say the least. Also, look back into the newsletter archives at a great Port tasting in Atlanta back in Jan. 2006. Lots of wonderful folks down your way love Port!

Also ... Hi to Monique. Nice to see you back again. :hello:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

My very first port was Taylor's Chip Dry when I was in college, which I had at a restaurant. I didn't know anything about wine except that I had an alcoholic uncle who would drink jugs of 'white port' and I figured this was something like that.

I liked it so much that I went out to the local liquor store and picked up a half bottle of Taylor 1992 (thinking to myself, 'gee, it's not as cheap as the stuff my uncle used to drink'), brought it to a friend's house and drank it 'on the rocks' :oops: while watching The Warriors. I know better now.
Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Warriors, come out to play ay.

Eric, nice story about the chip dry! It has been way too long. How have you been?

Welcome home. :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

ERIC How ya been my brother? Long time no see, I was getting worried that you stopped drinking port and took up the non-fortified stuff :wink: Glad to see you back 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com