Poll: How many of Roy's Top 12 VPs are in YOUR cellar?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

How many of Roy's Top 12 VPs are in YOUR cellar?

None (I am ashamed!)
15%
1 (Just started collecting VP)
15%
2-4 (Working on it)
27%
5-7 (I'm getting there!)
23%
8-11 (I'm a super star!)
15%
All 12 (I'm Roy, or really agree with him)
4%

Total votes: 26

Todd Pettinger

Poll: How many of Roy's Top 12 VPs are in YOUR cellar?

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Browsing through the FTLOP newsletter today, which I am just getting around to finishing, I went back to the article on Roy's Top 12 VP Picks

That prompted the above poll.

Myself, I have 2 at the moment and will be adding a third next week.
For those that care:
1977 Taylor Fladgate
1994 Vesuvio

and next week...
2000 Niepoort

(If there was any 2003 Portal available anywhere around me I would have already snapped up a case or two, but I need to go on a short road trip to obtain some.)

Todd
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I have six mostly the older ones because to my shame I have not been following recent vintages and the 2000's were my last buy.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Missing Cockburn's 83, Taylor 92 and Graham's 66. From those I've only taste Taylor.

It is a really nice list and agree that all these port should be in our cellar though some are harder and expensive to get :( Maybe only on the 2003 I'd pick another one but I have not tasted Portal yet...
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 2003 Portal is going to be talked about 50 years from now and at today's price, it is going to look like a great bargain. However, I am not planning to be around at age 100 to try it, so I will have to put them in my Taylor pile. 8--)

The 1999 Portal VP is still one of my favorite VPs of the 1990s and should be found if possible to add to your collection as well. I don't think this one even made it onto the radar screen, even though I was touting it early and often.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I got all but 4 of them, so I guess I am doing alright. Oh, Roy if Taylor decides she don't want them I know a good home :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Well here's an interesting divergence - I only have 4 of the wines in Roy's top 12 "must have" and of those 4, 3 (Cockburn '83 - about to be drunk, Fonseca '85 and the Portal '03) are represented by single bottles.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for the bottles that Roy recommends - and just console myself as I drink my way through the bottles that I've got the he hasn't recommended :D

Alex
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I have 7 of the 12 in my cellar and I'm working on the other 5 (all more recent vintages). I must say that I really haven't been purchasing many bottles of recent vintages lately, but I'll make the effort in order to round out the list!
David L.

Post by David L. »

None... but I would love to :)
I just start my collection and I just have Real Companhia Velha VP1983, S.Leonardo VP2000, Burmester VP2003 and Quinta de Baldias VP2003.
Has anyone tried the Real Companhia Velha 1983 and can give me some feedback? The others I have alreday tried...
Vintage 2007
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I only have two of them, the 1980 Dow and the 1985 Fonseca. I've got other examples however of many of the other vintages he's noted. For 1966, I've got Dow. For 1977, I've got Fonseca, Graham, and Warre. For 1983, I've got Dow. For 1992, I've got Fonseca.

All the best,
John
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

I "only" do have four of them, but you should see my other treasures... :wink:

Best, Monique.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Monique Heinemans wrote:I "only" do have four of them, but you should see my other treasures... :wink:

Best, Monique.
Okay Monique, I'll bite... what do you have!?!?! :D

Todd