'Older' Duque de Braganca Bottling

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Sweet

'Older' Duque de Braganca Bottling

Post by David Sweet »

I tried my first bottle of Duque de Braganca last fall and found it absolutely exquisite! I recently found and bought (at a fantastic price) another bottle, but this one is not in a standard 750 ml shaped bottle, but one that is shorter and a bit more squat. I'm trying to get an idea of how old this might be (what twenty-year time frame this might represent). Yes, I should have asked, but forgot. Does anyone happen to know when they changed bottle shape?

Many thanks!
David
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ferreira almost always includes their date of bottling on the back label. Did you examine it closely? After I see your response, I will get an answer from Ferreira for you.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Sweet

Post by David Sweet »

Thanks Roy! Should have put on my reading glasses.

Bottled in 1990.

Would a 20-year tawny at that bottling age "improve" or dissipate its flavor profile over a younger bottling??

Thanks again!
David
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

David,

I had a feeling you'd be able to find that. 8--)

Anyway, the opinions of whether a recent or older bottle of Tawny Port "with an indication of age" (meaning: 10, 20, 30 or 40 year old) is better are as varied as the nuances in flavors you'll detect in the Duque.

Some feel the older bottles do show more nuance and improvement. Others feel just the opposite. I can tell you that the Port trade is pretty consistent in their literature that the best way to drink these Tawnies are closest to the bottling date. That said, the jury is still out.

If you really want to do a fascinating experiment for us ... since you are in the very rare and fortunate position to own a 17 year old bottle of the Duque de Braganca: PLEASE consider buying a fresh bottle and tasting them side-by-side over a number of days ... taking careful notes to compare and contrast each one. I wish I was you and was able to do this experiment!!!!!!!!!!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Sweet

Post by David Sweet »

Thank you so much Roy!! Great information to have.

While not good at taking tasting notes, that DOES sound like a fascinating experiment. I will do so and report!
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

Hi David,

I'm very curious about your experience also.
Personally the 20y old of Ferreira is one of my favorites among the tawny's, unfortunately very hard to find in the Netherlands.

About three years ago I bought some bottles of Niepoort 20y, they were bottled about 8 years before, but I drank every drop of it with pleasure!
Very thick, almost like syrop, with a hint of toffee, just lovely!!

Best, Monique.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:If you really want to do a fascinating experiment for us ... since you are in the very rare and fortunate position to own a 17 year old bottle of the Duque de Braganca: PLEASE consider buying a fresh bottle and tasting them side-by-side over a number of days ... taking careful notes to compare and contrast each one. I wish I was you and was able to do this experiment!!!!!!!!!!
This does sound like an awesome experiment - one which I wish I could do as well. Unfortunately, Ferreira Tawny is difficult to come by in these parts, which is shame, because when I was in California on my last business trip, I certainly did enjoy the 10 yr Ferreira Tawny that I found! :D

Todd