1975 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

jasond

1975 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by jasond »

1975 Fonseca Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/31/2005)
I decanted this through cheese cloth at about 4:30pm. The cork was in great shape and there was only a small amount of sediment. We began consuming at around 9:30 pm, it had darkened only slightly (about a 3 on the Roy scale) and any hints of spirityness were gone. There was sweet aroma’s of cherry lollypops and dried plums. The palate had moderate sweetness, with candied fruity flavors. The finish was nice and smooth. If served blind I would have guessed a port from the 60s or even 50s due to how light and smooth it was. All in all not a blockbuster but a nice drink. (85 pts.)
Jason Domanico
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1975 Fonseca

Post by Roy Hersh »

1975 was an odd year in that it normally is not the type of vintage that would have been declared.

In 1994 there was a popular Revolution in Portugal, a bloodless coup d'etat that resulted in many changes. There was significant talk about the new government taking control of most if not all industries. The Port producers believed that even the vineyards would be "nationalized" and felt that they HAD TO declare 1975, as it would be their last chance to make VP with a totally free hand.

Fortunately, none of the threats came to pass. The '75 was made and released in late 1977 (just around the time of the fabulous harvest). The 1975s were all light in terms of color, body weight and concentration. This even includes the mediocre Quinta do Noval Nacional. I did not get to taste them early on but did, a decade after they were made.

I have never really had what I would call a top notch '75. The best of 'em, have reached maturity early and only a small handful at 30 are still drinking well. The term "well" is very subjective too.

From past experiences with the Fonseca, it is one of the best of the vintage. Even the exaclted Fonseca though, is a light wine and shows better now as some of the secondary and well developed tawny notes are strengthening the flavor profile. I know folks who love this fully resolved and easy to drink style. I would drink the '75s sooner rather than later, but your mileage may vary.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Of course a correction is needed. The year of the aforementioned Revolution was 1974 not the year of my visit in 1994.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1975 Fonseca

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have never really had what I would call a top notch '75.
Roy, we're in agreement as to the quality of hte vintage. I never thought there WAS such a thing as a "top notch" 1975 . . . . :wink: