1961 Krohn Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bill Crann

1961 Krohn Colheita Port

Post by Bill Crann »

I had been looking for a birth year wine for myself a while ago. '61 is a Bordeaux year but I saw some good notes on the Krohn colheitas so I bought two '61's. This week was my 47th birthday and I figured one prime number deserved another so I opened the first Krohn & took out the Reidel Porto glass. 20%/vol. Matured in wood. Bottled in 2006. Bought early 2007 and consumed Jan 20 to 24, 2008.
Appearance: a nearly clear, yellowish rim surrounding a Dr. Pepper / cola body. A bit of citrus on the nose; a touch clove and spirit, but not objectionable; slightly sherry like. Smooth, sweet entry. Body: Viscous texture, some caramel; subdued cinnamon. a bit of maderia-like tang on the finish. Not great, but a very nice wine: 90 pts. (but my wife likes it more - probably a 94 pointer for Sherry.)
I haven't had many older tawny's so I don't have much of a judging base, generally preferring the more robust VP's. This was a very pleasant birthday treat. I think I'll have another. It has made turning an ugly number feel pretty good.

BC
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

... think I'll have another. It has made turning an ugly number feel pretty good.
Bill,

First of all, a belated Happy Birthday!

I must say that your style of creating a TN had me right there next to you drinking the '61. Hopefully you had the good fortune to have a birth year Latour or Haut Brion to wash down your BD dinner with?

From what you've described, I would have to go with your wife's score. 8--) I look forward to your next TN on this wine. Once you get to enjoy the Ports in this category more often, I think you'll come to agree with Mrs. Crann.

I look forward to sharing a fine bottle of VP or Colheita with you both someday!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bill Crann

Post by Bill Crann »

Roy,
I may have been a little stingy with the score. But, I honestly think I don't have the tasting aptitude to do justice to more nuanced ports, or table wine for that matter. I can describe it if the nuance makes it to my flavor receptors, but I must have a taste bud deficiency. This port frustrated me - I felt I was on the cusp of picking up more nuances many times, but no matter how long I pondered & swirled and retasted, I just couldn't coax any more out. I guess it's why I've always enjoyed the in-your-face wines more than the older, mellower quaffs.

Hey - one day we'll get together over dinner & a bottle (or two). Keep up the passionate work - you have a great website.

BC
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I'm another 61er, and my notes on the 61 Krohn are similar, although my score 2-3 points higher.
Any Port in a Storm
Bill Crann

Post by Bill Crann »

Ted,
I was stingy with my rating of just 90 points. If I hadn't been bothered by thoughts of my mortality I would have been more objective. It kind of bugged me that I was 47 and not 27. Does that ever happen to you? Anyway, my wife is smarter than me and it was 94 for her, so hey - 92 or 93 sounds good to me.

BC