#6: What is your favorite vintage of Dow's VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#6: What is your favorite vintage of Dow's VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Having enjoyed a few verticals of Dow over the years, (most recently in Nov. 2006) I may know this producer more thoroughly than any of the other five we've visited so far; but only from 1945 on. I have had older ones too, but for me the sweet spot has been from 1963 (pre-Symington era, which began with the purchase in 1970) through the 2003.

As this is a very visible and venerable Port Shipper, which is found in most markets, I believe this thread will be popular for days to come. Please do share your ultimate favorite vintage of Dow.

Cheers! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I like the 1970 Dow the best from what I can remember but I ned to revisit a bottle! My second choice would be the 1980.. I know I've had 1983's, '77's and '85's that were good as well. I'm not a fan of the 1963 at all and I've had it several times.
Maybe I'll drink some Dow this weekend!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

SEAN C. wrote:I like the 1970 Dow the best from what I can remember but I ned to revisit a bottle! My second choice would be the 1980.. I know I've had 1983's, '77's and '85's that were good as well. I'm not a fan of the 1963 at all and I've had it several times.
Maybe I'll drink some Dow this weekend!
'63 is not that good a vintage for Dow at all. I too, am a fan of 77, which most will vote as one of the best. Sean's picked all winners, but I can't decide which one I thought is best. Perhaps 70 again? Maybe 77... That a tough one.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would go with 1970
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Having only had one, I realize that I don't have the proper base for a true statistical analysis...... ;)

Guess that makes my favorite the 1991! :)

Note to self, explore some more vintages of Dow.

Rich
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

I have two answers - for different reasons.
I actually find Dow the most consistent of all the houses. Even in off-years, the style is consistent. So my 'first' vote goes to the 1975 where Dow made the best port of all the houses - even though that vintage should probably not have ben declared.
In no other year did Dow produce the finest port of the vintage, but of all my tastings I recall 1955 as being my favourite.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Thank you Roy, my favourite producer and I have had many VP's and SQVP's. For me, a lover of older port ,it has to be either the 1960 or the 1970.
I had several bottles of the 60 which wowed me but I reckon I have to plump for the 1970. Just delicious, with a little way to go(IMHO) but already showing great complexity and nuances.

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: #6: What is your favorite vintage of Dow's VP?

Post by David Spriggs »

The 1994 is the best for me. Huge fruit and equal to Graham's that year. Only Vesuvio from the Symington's outshines the 1994 Dow's. Here are my notes from teh 1994 Symington's shoot out tasting:

1994 Dow's - Very vinous nose. Dark black fruit nose. Even darker than Graham's. Huge fruit entry. Awesome grip. Really supurb! Long, long finish. Essence of black fruit. Great grip and acid. 97 points.

1977 is runner up... but the tannins are still quite rustic and may never melt away. Still, it's a top 1977 VP.
-Dave-
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've tasted probably all declaration from 77 to 2003 and definitively the 77 is well above. 2000 is the one looking to be as equal, but I never liked Dow's when it is young.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I have not yet had a '70 Dow, but I will seek one out now that i have read your shoutouts on that one.

I would have to go with the '77. I have introduced many a folks to VP with this one. Goes especially well with a cheese course I have found.
Scott Anaya
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

1966 for me :D
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've tried a fair few Dow vintages, having had the chance to sip from all the vintages from 1963 onwards with the exception of 1975.

It seems that I will go against the flow here - my stand-out is very clearly the 1963, supplied from the Symington cellars and drunk with about 2½ hours of decanter time. It was superb.

After the '63, Dow's vintages are consistently good in my notes but without ever achieving the stellar heights reached by Fonseca or Taylor or Nacional.

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Al B. wrote:I've tried a fair few Dow vintages...

It seems that I will go against the flow here - my stand-out is very clearly the 1963, supplied from the Symington cellars and drunk with about 2½ hours of decanter time. It was superb.
Interesting... I have the Dow 63 a few times and have always been disappointed; just an unexciting port. Our TN's were posted here a couple of months ago.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I have a hard time choosing between 1970, 1977 and 1980, but will go for the '80 because it's such a standout for the vintage, as an (relatively) undiscovered gem still very much affordable and a textbook example of the Dow style.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I really have enjoyed the 1963 Dow on all occasions but one, which was a huge disappointment because it was in the crosshairs of a '63 horizontal and lots of focus on all the bottles. Otherwise, a simply beautiful Dow today!

However, looking at the body of work, if I had to pick just one Dow as my all time favorite, in terms of its impact on me, it would definitely have to be the 1994. Now some may joke it is because I spent a few days time at Bomfim in 1994, but that has nothing to do with it actually. That only influenced my buying habits. :roll:

But for sheer depth of pleasure, the 1994 is nearing perfection for a Port of its age. The harmonious balance in that VP is even better than the Vesuvio which I rate higher. That does not mean I like the Dow more, just find the synch of fruit, acidity and tannins to be better today (and from the first time I had it). I do prefer the Vesuvio '94 overall, but that is an aside.

So David S., it looks like I agree with you ... on this one. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I too like the 94 very much and have a case aging in the cellar, but for me my favorite would be the 1966. I have had the 1970 numerous times now, including directly from the producers celler in magnum, and always found it to have a bit too much heat.

Jay
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I actually rate the 1994 Dow's one point higher than the Vesuvio... but both are spectacular! I think it depends on the bottle. Overall, I have had more consistantly better bottles of the vesuvio, but some bottles of the Dow are mind boggling - significantly better than vesuvio. It's probably not the bottle, but my palate at the time... but I have to call it as I taste it.

By the way, the 2003 is extremely good also. Not quite up to the quality of those two, but I was surprised how much better the Dow showed against some more venerated names.

-Dave-
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I'm going to agree with my good friend Ronald here and go for the 1980. It was a WOW moment at a large informal Offline in the UK last summer and really was a lovely surprise.

Derek
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I agree that the 1980 is super. I put in a tasting note the other day on this: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... php?t=4836
It's certainly a HUGE success in that vintage.

-Dave-
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I'm voting 1991, and happy to have picked up a few a $35/bottle just a year or two ago
Any Port in a Storm