1994 Croft Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

1994 Croft Vintage Port

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Boy did this take a while to come around !!
I wasn't disappointed with the extra decanting ( 36 hours ) .
Everything was in balance .
Mouthfeel was smooth , hint of alcool and mostly scent of dark chocolate .
Finish was a little short , but otherwise , the extra decant was well worth the wait . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Croft

Post by Andy Velebil »

Luc,

Do you see this as more of a mid-term drinker or something that will be a long lived VP?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I drank the 94 Croft about two months ago. Here are my notes...

Deep burgundy color with just a hint of maturity beginning to show on the rim. It took quite a while in the decanter before the nose opened up, though it still seems to be holding something back. It shows notes of smokey prune, raspberry jam, and tobacco. The palate is generous, delivering layers of sweet dark fruit - blueberry, blackberry, and raisin come across and just keep on going - smooth, ripe and rich, it builds into a long spicy finish. A delicious vintage port at this stage, but this one should definitely get even more impressive as it fleshes out over the next several decades. Tasted 2/08

I would certainly recommend it, especially considering the fact that it can be found for a relative bargain compared with some of the more prestigious 94's that have skyrocketed in price. The structure is still a bit hidden behind the up-front fruit on this port, but I don't think there's any question that this is a bottle worthy of longer-term cellaring. Great stuff.
The Port Maverick
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Andy Velebil wrote:Luc,

Do you see this as more of a mid-term drinker or something that will be a long lived VP?
Andy ,
based on what I experienced , definitely a mid-term drinker but leaning towards the long term . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .