Looking for advice on seepage/longevity

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Woodruff

Looking for advice on seepage/longevity

Post by Jay Woodruff »

All,

Have been purchasing some more port of late (always an ongoing endeavour) and notice hat with some very reputable stores, they list "signs of seepage".
This is no the type of merchant to sell wine known to be bad, so I expect that this means some laeking from poor corks or the lie and may be ok if consumed earlier rather than later. Since I have not received any yet, does anyone have any advice or experience??

Thanks,
Jay.
jasond

Seepage

Post by jasond »

Jay, I have a number of ports in my cellar that I have purchased in recent years that show signs of seepage. Of course when searching out wines I always look for bottles that don't show this but there are often deals that are to good to pass up that list seepage. To be honest have not had a bad bottle of port because it has leaked. I have had a bottle of 77 fonseca (the cork was very sticky on top) that seemed to be more mature than it should have been but it was still very good. I would not worry too much, pick up one and try them next to a pristine bottle to find out. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Jason Domanico
Frederick Blais

Seepage and oxygen

Post by Frederick Blais »

What makes the wine age gracefully its the proctection of the bottle contents from oxygen by the cork. Seepage often occurs when the bottle suffers pressure variation from the outside or temperature variation which results in pressure variation from the inside of the bottle.

Why I would not buy any bottle with a sign of seepage except in a really really good bargain or that I know the bottle leaked is just because that in a lot of case, the bottle leaked because it was heated. This is the worst case, because high temperature is really harmful for the wine. Added to that that if liquid comes out, it means oxygen comes in. So the wine will age faster and not as peaceful as it was.

If I had bought a bottle that was not leaking and find today it is, I'd try to get a refund, because here in Quebec we have a 1 year warranty or I'd drink it as soon as possible.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Frederick,

I am thrilled to have you with us here!

I agree with your sentiments about seepage in bottles of Port. More often than not, it is a heat related issue that pushes out the cork just enough for wine to slip past the width of the cork and bottle neck. In older VPs with metalic capsules (especially really old ones made from lead) the metalurgic reaction to the acids of the Port, when they come in contact with one another is not a good thing at all. The fact that the wine usually seeps back into the bottle and after this chemical reaction, can taint the wine badly. In younger VP with less corrosive types of capsules, the reaction is not as bad.

Either way though, seepage is a flaw in the wine regardless of whether the cork or temperature were at fault. At best you'll find some oxidation in the Port and pre-mature aging (in bottles where the condition has taken place over a long period of time) to the worst case scenario where the wine is fully cooked.

If you are certain (next to impossible to know except with a very young VP) that the leakage is recent, use sealing wax to stop the seepage. I would not keep these wines to age for the long haul. Drink your leakers within a few years of discovery. Your chances of finding the wine mostly intact are a lot better than waiting a couple of decades.

To test for a currently leaking bottle, wrap the capsule and top of the bottle with clean tissue (after cleaning the bottle from visible signs of leakage) and either tape it or use a rubberband to secure the tissue to the bottle. Then check in a day or two and a week later. If no signs of leakage are noted on the tissue, remove it and feel secure the bottle won't leak again (given it will never get warm).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com