TN: 2006 Niepoort Projectos Pinot Noir Vinho Regional Trás os Montes Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ronald Wortel

TN: 2006 Niepoort Projectos Pinot Noir Vinho Regional Trás os Montes Douro

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Sometimes we tend to forget how special many of the wines that we get to taste are. Good, therefore, that Niepoort reminds us on the label that we are drinking bottle 440 of 2600. The nose is somewhere between Burgundy and new world Pinot, with mainly lovely red fruit. Velvety, primary fruit to taste. Nice weight. All very young and primary still. With time in the glass it develops more dark flavours, as well as some earthy tones. This needs much more time in the cellar to show its full potential. With such a tiny production you wonder how many bottles get the chance to age until perfection. Very well made and very much enjoyed. 92+ points.

This wine paired very nicely with a leg of rabbit in chunky tomato sauce.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: Niepoort Projectos Pinot Noir Vinho Regional Trás-os-Montes 2006

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Ronnie,

The 2006, was the first cask sample of Dirk's Pinot Noir I had ever tried ... actually the first sample of any Pinot from Portugal. I was pretty in lust with that first vintage and not as much from my cask sample of his next one. The 2006 was extraordinary and the nose, even early on was pretty effusive yet the texture was sublime, right from cask. I have only had a few sips of it since then and am really looking forward to try it again someday soon. How much was it selling for?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I don't know, I received it as a gift. 8--)
But I agree on the 2007/2006. I tasted the 2007 as cask sample at Napoles, and straight after that also the 2006 as finished product. The 2006 showed much better. I don't know how the 2007 developed in cask, but at that time Luis wasn't happy with it, and told us Dirk didn't like it either.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

That 2007 won't be released as well as the 2008.
The next Pinot will be the 2009, released probably in May.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, it is Joao. Never thought we'd see him again. Disappeared off the face of the earth. :(
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

Well Roy,

Lots of work at Niepoort, specially now that i am preparing a huge Event at Quinta de Nápoles next April.
My new condition at Niepoort, prevents me of writing more frequently. I don't want to misunderstood by talking about other Portuguese Wines. I you know what i mean....

Abraço,