Trivia Contest: Can you win without using Google?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Trivia Contest: Can you win without using Google?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Challenge: Explain exactly what I am referencing and where it comes from without using Google.

Hints: To be Frank, 655321 has to deal with Taylor, although this has nothing to do with the IVDP Seal of Guarantee.

Rules:
a. The guessing game ends at Midnight (US Pacific Standard Time) May 31st, 2006. The winner will be announced no later than June 1st
b. All entries must be placed in this thread
c. No email entries permitted
d. You must not refer to Google or other web search engine for assistance
e. All of the above

No further hints beyond the (4) above will be provided, so I wish all of you, best of luck!

The prize for the winner is 10% off of any of the 3, 2006 Harvest Trips ... which is worth far more than any (non-Nacional) VP in the past 43 years if used for either of the trips on the Travel Page. Of course, if used for the shorter 3 day trip, it is equivalent to a 1970 something, bottle. The winner's discount can only be used by that individual or a guest that comes along on the trip with them and is not otherwise transferrable.
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Sorry Roy, but you've completely lost me here :roll:

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Exactly how many glasses of port do you need to drink before the hint makes any sense?

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW :!: :!: I think I need a few more glasses to try and figure this one out. Hmmm, huh, well, ahh, I'll get back to you...maybe :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com

Guessing...

Post by Guest »

I'm guessing there is more coming soon...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stewart,

All the clues are right there in the first posting.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

Where is the question or the reference that we need to decode?

If its all in the original posting, you missed your vocation as a crossword clue writer! :D :D

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Can you confirm that the 4 hints are:

1. Frank
2. 655321
3. Taylor
4. IDVP Seal of Guatantee

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek, that is what I figured as the 4 hints. I think Roy saw the Da Vinci Code Friday :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've got it! Frank was the person at the IVDP who tasted the Taylors 2003 vintage port. He is IVDP employee number 655321 and it is his number that appears on the IVDP seal for that wine, for ever more.

How's that! I'm seeing the Da Vinci code Friday!

:lol: :lol:

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

All I will say is that Alex is the closest so far!

Derek, you have the four clues correctly in order.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Frank Taylor founded the company that makes Taylor's Port in 1794 - 655321 days after the birth of his Great Great Great......Grandfather, Jesus (Taylor) of Nazereth

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Can you tell us if the number has to be taken in its entity or it is encoded ? And is the answer related to Port or you just chose a trivia with a few hints related to Port? :lol:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The number is "as is" Fred, no coding. You have been reading or watching too much of the Da Vinci Code.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

First 655321 is clearly not an important number in the meaning that it is no milestone or stuff like that. It is an identification number. This number identify the good Frank you are talking about. The good Frank must have spoke or write about Taylor somewhere on the Net that could be easily found with google :)

This is what I'd say, a guy named Frank who is identified somewhere on a forum or website as 655321 (or cell number :lol: ) already wrote something about Taylor, or maybe its name is Frank Taylor after all :roll:

Another try... You picked a guy on the street and you asked him his name. Then you told him to write a six digit number behind a Taylor's Port bottle :lol:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I think that "Frank" may refer to Frank Yeatman, who did work on grape varieties with Taylor. Perhaps the number refers to a grape variety.

Gary Banker
tvstorey

Post by tvstorey »

Roy,

If memory serves, "six-double five-three-two-one" is part of a bit of famous -- or infamous -- cinema dialogue. Do I need to go rent the film and watch it again to find all the rest of the reference?
Tyler Storey
pgwerner

Post by pgwerner »

Roy - are Internet references like Internet Movie Database acceptable if the information isn't Googled? I know roughly what the clues are referring to, but am still trying to figure out how they fit.

Peter
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

No database can be used. I will have to take the winner at their word, that they did not use google or any other search engine at all.

Providing ALL details mentioned in the very first post, is the only way to win.

Who will be first?

I guess it will be up to who watches the movie. I never said this had anything to do with wine. 8) :lol: :twisted:
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Thu May 25, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.