Special Cuvée Quinta do Noval Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Richard Jennings »

Has anyone run across this unusual bottling before or know anything about it? It's labeled as a "Special Cuvée," being a blend of 1/3 1962 Quinta do Noval Nacional and 2/3s 1963 Quinta do Noval vintage Port. The label further indicates it was bottled in 1965 in London by John E. Fells & Sons. The wine director at The Plumed Horse brought it out for us to sample at a dinner last night.

Here's my TN: 3/24/2012: Medium dark garnet color; deep cherry, grenadine syrup, black cherry, tar nose; tasty, mellow, black cherry, dried berry, tar, licorice, orange peel palate; long finish 93+ points

And here's the label photo:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Special Cuvée Quinta do Noval Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, I've had it on at least two occasions now and it is very good as you found out. Basically it's a Crusted Port, bottled in 1965. It comes up at auction on occasion, although I've never seen it for sale here except your bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Richard Jennings »

Andy,
Thanks so much. Have you seen other vintages of this on auction, or just this '62/'63 blend?
--Richard
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

As Andy noted, I have seen this offered several times in the UK, but not in the US. As far as I know, this is the only example of this wine.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have had this, at least once with Andy, but have not seen a similar description on any other Crusted Port from Noval.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Noval made a few Crusted Ports in the early to mid '60s. I know of this one and also a Crusted bottled in 1964 that was mostly (if not exclusively) made from port from the 1961 vintage.

I've only seen this particular Crusted sold at auction in the UK once, in Autumn 2009. Out of interest, how much is the Plumed Horse asking for the bottle (and how many do they have - it's quite a rarity since only 672 bottles were filled).

The label is interesting, saying that it was bottled by John E Fells and noting Whitwams on the US import label. John E Fells are associated with the Symington brands, but I don't know when the link between Fells and the Symingtons was established - it is entirely possible that in the mid-'60s Fells were an independent wine merchant and imported and bottled this pipe from Noval. However, my information is that this Crusted was imported into the UK and bottled by Hedges & Butler in 1965 - perhaps there's an historic link between Fells and H&B that I'm not aware of?

(PS: Derek - you've had the '65 Crusted twice, both times with me and Andy. On those two occasions I scored the port with 92 and 95 points - tasting notes should be in the database.)
Last edited by Al B. on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have had the 1962 Quinta do Noval Crusted Port on two occasions while visiting Noval. It was really delicious and I would be as happy to drink it as I would the 1962 Nacional, which today ... is no better than the Crusted, imo.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com