Kopke 375 Anniversary Special Edition

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eus Wust

Kopke 375 Anniversary Special Edition

Post by Eus Wust »

This outstanding colheita from 1940 will be bottled and released within a couple of weeks. Limited edition of 375 bottles.
Attachments
kopke375.jpg
kopke375.jpg (70.45 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Kopke375cask.jpg
Kopke375cask.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Kopke 375 Anniversary Special Edition

Post by Glenn E. »

Would love to get some of this, but I fear that it will be really expensive. [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eus Wust

Post by Eus Wust »

A Kopke colheita 1940 bottled around 2000 does €300 - €350. I will not be surpised if this special 2013 release has a price-tag between €500 - €700.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Given all the recent very, very high end wood aged Ports, I'd expect the price to be much higher.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Given all the recent very, very high end wood aged Ports, I'd expect the price to be much higher.
Those are generally 19th century Ports, though, or very close. Andressen's 1910 is the youngest that I can think of. I don't think a 1940 is old enough to command those kinds of prices, though like Eus I wouldn't be surprised if they ask €500-€700 or $700-$900.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The recent releases of 1952, 1961 and 1969 colheitas from Graham went for prices of £275+ per bottle (€330). The 1940 is likely to be pitched a little higher since it is a little older.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Eus and Glenn were right... the price tag is - due to this information in Portuguese - approx. EUR 680.

http://www.revistadevinhos.pt/artigos/s ... &idioma=pt

Sogevinos had launched earlier this year another special edition, the centenario of BARROS. They celebrated 100 years of existance of BARROS by creating a blend of one wine of each decade of the last 100 years.
Beautiful bottle, beautiful box - but a price tag of only EUR 260 (but also more bottles were launched - exactly 1,913). I had the pleasure of trying it, and it is really very very good.

I hope one day I can taste both wines together, to see if the KOPKE really justifies such a steep premium, compared with the BARROS... [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It's a very nice presentation, but these special editions are just getting out of hand price-wise. They're clearly aimed at collectors and rich people who want to give expensive gifts. Which is sad, because they could probably put tea in those bottles and no one would ever know. Save the Port for the people who will drink it and enjoy it!
Glenn Elliott
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

"Cada garrafa vem embalada num estojo em madeira de pau-santo, forrado a pele preta com estampagens a ouro."

My quick translation: Each bottle is packaged in a brazilian noble wood box, lined in black leather w gold lettering.

Sure looks beautiful...

Perhaps this is the way for the Port houses to make it through in this market where the base of consumers isnt v large. By appealing to the top end of the port market they stay relevant, cultivate their brand for exclusivity and ensure that they stay on people's minds. If the market is there for these offerings, it better be a bottle of port than a bottle of scotch that gets offered.

Interesting that it all came from a single cask. 70 odd years later there were ~300 liters left from an initial 580 liters. Roughly 1%/year angels share over the 70 year period.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

What surprises me is that they didn't take the opportunity to sell twice as many bottles and package "375" in 375ml bottles.
Glenn Elliott
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Glenn E. wrote:What surprises me is that they didn't take the opportunity to sell twice as many bottles and package "375" in 375ml bottles.
[rotfl.gif]
Eus Wust

Post by Eus Wust »

According to Revista de Vinhos, the bottle will go for around 680 euro.http://www.revistadevinhos.pt/artigos/s ... &idioma=pt
Daniel Jewesbury

Post by Daniel Jewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:It's a very nice presentation, but these special editions are just getting out of hand price-wise. They're clearly aimed at collectors and rich people who want to give expensive gifts. Which is sad, because they could probably put tea in those bottles and no one would ever know. Save the Port for the people who will drink it and enjoy it!
I agree.. though I also understand the market logic of this (sort of..). I'd love to taste this, I just wouldn't fancy paying €680 for the privilege..!