Morgan Brothers

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

jmferrandez

Morgan Brothers

Post by jmferrandez »

I need help for an historical research. I can't find any kind of information about Morgan Brothers Lda, an old Port company (one of the founder of the Factory House) established in 1715 (at present this company not exists).

One of the main matter of my research is the relationship of Morgan Brothers Lda with an Morgan from Spain, Francis Morgan, form Port St Mary a place with sherry production tradition, but anything related to Morgan brothers (history, relatives, alliances, etc) will be useful.

I will be very grateful with any kind of information.

Thank you in advance.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Company was sold to Croft in 1952.

Croft later became part of the Diageo group, and when Croft was sold to the Fladgate partnership in 2001, the rights to the Morgan name were retained, as Diageo also produce Captain Morgan Rum.

For this reason, no new Port production bears the Morgan name.

If you visit the Croft lodge in Vila Nova de Gaia, you may see some Morgan branded bottles in their bottle store (I saw some in March this year), but I don't recall any of great age.

Bottles of Morgan vintage port are extremely scarce. Their last declared vintage was in 1994 (I think), but I can find no trace of any being offered for sale - anywhere!

In the 19th century, Morgan had a brand of port called 'Dixon's Double Diamond' which is immortalised in the Charles Dickens book 'Nicholas Nickleby'

Tom
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

I drank a 1966 Morgan Port about 18 months ago. It was very nice!
YOLO
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

there are several lots of morgan up at Chrisites shortly...range of years...
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

there are several lots of morgan up at Chrisites shortly...range of years...
Which sale?

Tom
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

7274 just dig through the cigars! Tempting although some of the lots are a little large for me :)
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

OK - catalogue's not on line yet - you must have a subscription!

Tom
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Thats strange I see the pdf on the Europe wine sales page 16th November?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Have you got the web address for that. Christies site isn't showing the browse icon on the auction calendar - the pages aren't loading properly either...

Tom
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Thanks for that. But I tried navigating to the same site from the Christies home page without success... - how did you get to it?

When Diageo sold Morgan to the Fladgate partnership (as part of, and a sous marque to Croft/Delaforce) - it was on the condition that the Morgan name was no longer used. Captain Morgan rum was more important it seems, and they didn'y want confusion.

This looks like a full blown clearance sale - the end of Morgan as far as the TF are concerned...

Tom
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

I just click on sale departments (from the tab) wine and then international wine calendar (on the right hand side) and then europe (at the top).

Bookmark this page http://www.christies.com/wine_calendar/ ... asp?DID=61
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

uncle tom wrote:Thanks for that. But I tried navigating to the same site from the Christies home page without success... - how did you get to it?
The Christies site is a bit odd in that the pdf and "active" lists come up at different times - the best place to look is usually the wine dept. page "europe sales" rather than the overall calendar.

One on occasion I think they just forgot as it miraculously appeared a few mintes after I emailed them to complain with only a few days to go before an auction!

I'd seen these bottles earlier and wondered what they were so thanks for this guys.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Is anyone interested in splitting a case or two of the Morgan ports? As a '63 baby I'm always interested in trying '63s I've never had before and quite fancy the idea of a half case of the '63 Morgan. Anyone interested in taking some of the other 6 bottles from me? Anyone interested in any of the other vintages?

Drop me a PM if you are.

Alex