Have you ever sold your bottles/cases of Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Have you ever sold your bottles/cases of Port?

Post by Roy Hersh »

We all talk about what Port(s) we have purchased, but I never see people discussing Ports they have sold. Just curious, has anybody reading this ever sold their own bottles or cases of Port? [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Have you ever sold your bottles/cases of Port?

Post by David Spriggs »

Other than to friends or associates who want some... no. I'll sell any other wine, but not my Port! :-)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I have never intentionally bought wine or port as an investment, only ever to drink in the short, medium or long term. I have sold or swapped the odd bottle every now and then to friends and fellow port lovers to support offlines and tastings and the like.

Up until now, I have only bought as much as I can drink in what I estimate to be my remaining drinking life. If my circumstances change in the future, I may reconsider whether selling is an option but for the moment I plan to drink pretty much all of what I own or will buy in the future.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Like Alex I do sell to friends - normally part of what I am buying. If I see a real bargain I will offer some to my friends who like port but are not on the sites.
I hope that I never have to sell any to raise funds but the only way I can justify the amount of Port and Douro wine I have is that I can sell a few cases to fund my passion but I have not had to do this yet!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've never sold, nor traded a bottle of wine; yet!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have traded bottles, but I can't recall ever selling one. I buy my Port to drink, not as an investment, so selling it doesn't really occur to me.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

True believers. So far. :clap:

Anyone else?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've split bottles with others where we chipped in together to buy a case or so at auction or retail. I've given away bottles. Placed bottles into large tastings where they were assigned a monetary value so everyone had an equal share, cost wise, of the tasting. But I've never outright sold a bottle of wine and have no intentions of ever doing so.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've split a case purchased at auction, and when buying a sixer of Nacional, I essentially pre-sold half the bottles to other FLTOPers. As much as I would have liked to have kept them all, I didn't really have the budget to do so.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

I've called up people and asked if they wanted bottles that I spy and would happily pick it up for them until we meet.

Also split auction winnings and given away some if friends wanted.

But I see it as a hobby still. The day I have to start actively trading my bottles is the day I'll give up wine.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I did once about 10 years ago when the market was really hot, but I regret it now. I didn't sell much port, about 6 bottles of 1992 Fonseca (including a magnum) and got twice what I had paid for them. The dumb part of the sale was that I sold two double magnums of 1977 Taylor. I bought three of them for $700 at auction in the mid-90s, then sold two of them for $1000. I thought myself really smart, since I could drink the last one for free. Now that I know how really rare these bottlings are, I wish I had them back.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have sold both individual bottles and multiple cases at a time. Usually because I did not have the resources to keep the port and/or used the profit to pay for the wine I kept. I never sold something that was not a deal to the buyer, but I am not opposed to making a few bucks for myself.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Other than giving a few bottles to like-minded family members I have never sold any cellared wine. I think we should raid Eric's cellar for the National! Too bad Colorado is a bit to drive. Regards. Jim
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

no
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Yes, I have sold a few bottles of vintage port. I have discovered over the years that I favor Colheitas and Madieras.

I have not sold any Nacional, however! [foilhat.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve Pollack wrote:Yes, I have sold a few bottles of vintage port. I have discovered over the years that I favor Colheitas and Madieras.

I have not sold any Nacional, however! [foilhat.gif]
Hmm, maybe I've got a chance then :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Anders

Post by Anders »

I`ll try to live from it.... so YES, Im selling a lot of bottels, sometimes boxes for real portlovers. But normal is 1-3 bottels
Pinhao is my second home