The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

Post by Andy Velebil »

As many here have known, FTLOP member and friend, Julian Wiseman has been working on a book about Vintage Port. After many years of hard work and research, it's ready to be published and is now on sale. Having proof read a few chapters of it in the past, I can tell you it is quite the work. Every Port lover will want one, that is without doubt. Here's what a couple of Port icons have said about it.

George Sandeman has commented "This is the definitive reference book on old Vintage Port."

Dominic Symington said "Port Vintages is Wisden’s for drinkers of Vintage Ports. It will be my go-to historical reference book for my family’s brand, each with their own chapter: Cockburn, Dow, Gould Campbell, Graham, Martinez, Quarles Harris, Smith Woodhouse, and Warre. The research and accuracy in defining and recording all historical Vintages is second to none. There is no more complete record."

There will be no re-print of it, so don't wait to order one or you will miss out.

The book can be ordered at the following link.
http://www.portvintages.com

Disclaimer: Other than proof reading a couple chapters some time ago and I think a few bottle pictures I took that are in it, I have no financial or other interest in the book.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Shawn Denkler

Re: The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

Post by Shawn Denkler »

The web site for the book has a discounted price for bulk orders which will save on postage as well. I hope some of us could get a bulk order together.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

what would be the most recent vintage included?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:what would be the most recent vintage included?
I’ve emailed the author to ask. Will advise when I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I too intend to buy a copy. He did a lot of work on this. Looking forward to reading it. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Bert VD wrote:what would be the most recent vintage included?
Included at all? 2016. But the focus of the book is on ‘old’ Vintage Port, which is deemed to be ≤1986.

Moses Botbol wrote:I too intend to buy a copy. He did a lot of work on this. Looking forward to reading it. [cheers.gif]
Thank you. I did. Good to hear (but at 395k words, it will be a lot of reading).

Shawn Denkler wrote:The web site for the book has a discounted price for bulk orders which will save on postage as well. I hope some of us could get a bulk order together.
Splendid, but you probably want to group together by city, and agree a single person to place order and accept delivery.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

How many copies will be printed as 1st edition?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:How many copies will be printed as 1st edition?
Only what is ordered. Hence why you need to order one now or you won’t get one. :)

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Only what is ordered. Hence why you need to order one now or you won’t get one. :)
I was considering ordering a few copies if I knew 1st edition was limited. I have seen values shoot up high on similar reference books.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
I was considering ordering a few copies if I knew 1st edition was limited. I have seen values shoot up high on similar reference books.
There will be no reprint. I ordered 2.

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just a reminder that the order deadline is November 1st. After that you will not be able to order a book or buy one. Get your orders in now.

As a side, having seen the test print copy recently and having spent a little time looking through it, I can say it's very impressive. Every Port lover should have one in their library.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've just listened to the esteemed author on The UK Wine Show ThirtyFifty podcast where he talks about vintage port. Very entertaining and well worth a listen.

There's also a follow up podcast which I haven't listened to yet, where he talks about The Book.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:I've just listened to the esteemed author on The UK Wine Show ThirtyFifty podcast where he talks about vintage port. Very entertaining and well worth a listen.

There's also a follow up podcast which I haven't listened to yet, where he talks about The Book.
Listened to both this morning. Very good podcasts.

Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I have ordered one and hope to receive it before Christmas.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Only what is ordered. Hence why you need to order one now or you won’t get one. :)
I ordered a 2nd copy.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the leather bound luxury edition ...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the leather bound luxury edition ...
Same, it's just not a good month for an extra large (for me) expenditure. Decisions decisions.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should spring for the leather bound luxury edition ...
Same, it's just not a good month for an extra large (for me) expenditure. Decisions decisions.
Yeah, me too. I was prepared to pay the original estimate, but the final price came in at double the estimate. I'm just having a difficult time paying that much for a book, when I could instead get another Tappit Hen of GST. Or 4 bottles. Or an entire case of 2016 Graham.
Glenn Elliott
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Glenn E. wrote:I was prepared to pay the original estimate, but the final price came in at double the estimate. I'm just having a difficult time paying that much for a book, when I could instead get another Tappit Hen of GST. Or 4 bottles. Or an entire case of 2016 Graham.
The standard edition, still a high quality artefact, is essential for members of FTLoP.

The luxury edition is indeed expensive. For those desirous of a rarity, it will be rare. For those wanting a book to which to refer (a natural use of a reference book), rather than a rare artefact, perhaps a luxury too far.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Pre-orders end at the end of this month.

There will be a few excess copies, but, in fairness to those who ordered early, their price will be higher. So order now on PortVintages.com.

(There is comment on it in the next newsletter, which might or might not be too late.)