Favorite 20 Year Tawny?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Favorite 20 Year Tawny?

Post by Kris Henderson »

In the past I usually went for the 10 year tawny ports but lately I've been trying the 20 year tawnies. I've tried two so far, Taylor and Fonseca.

Here's my note for the Taylor 20 year tawny:
Tawny colored with just a hint of red and good clarity. Nice nose of caramel, dates, figs, wood, dried fruit, spice and some heat. Rich and smooth on the palate. A little more acidity would be nice. Finishes long with just a little heat.

And my note for the Fonseca 20 year tawny:
Tawny colored with just a hint of orange. A nose of caramel, caramel, and more caramel. Also hints of nuts and dried orange peel. Did I mention caramel? The palate is very smooth and the sweetness is nicely balanced with a small amount of tannin and a good amount of acidity. There is a long nutty finish with hints of dried cherries and cinnamon. A very sexy, elegant tawny port. Outstanding.

I was surprised to see how different these two are. I thought the Taylor was more "in your face" and agressive while the Fonseca is more subtle and nuanced. I like both a lot but I think I'd give the nod to Fonseca. I was wondering what people though about these two wines and which 20 year tawny I should try next?
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Some of my favorites are:
- Niepoort
- Quinta do Vallado
- Quinta de Baldias

I've heard Ferreira is very good as well, but I never tried that one.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Had the Dow 20 yo recently and loved it.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Mark Lacey

Post by Mark Lacey »

It's been a few years since I've tried any, but I was always partial to the Taylor in the past. Fonseca was nice, though, too.

I'm curious, since you're in the Seattle area, where you have found any kind of selection available?

Larry's Queen Anne used to have three to four 20 years available at any time, but now they don't seem to. Most places around town just don't carry much in the way of port.
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Mark Lacey wrote:I'm curious, since you're in the Seattle area, where you have found any kind of selection available?
Most places I shop for wine wouldn't have what I call a large selection of 20 year tawnies available. McCarthy & Schiering in Ravenna usually has Taylor and Fonseca and sometimes one or two others. Central Market in Shoreline has a pretty good wine section and has a few choices for 20 year tawnies. I know they carry the Dow's 20 year. The Spanish Table near Pike Place Market has a really good selection of ports. Especially if Colheita is your thing. It's been awhile since I've been there but they should have 3 or 4 choices for 20 year tawnies.
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

You realy should try the Ferreira, Ducque de Branca. I'm not sure which one I like more, this one or the Niepoort.

Monique.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Still have not been able to find and taste the Ferreira, but my favourite by far is Niepoort. Burmester is very good as well, but pretty hard to find as well (at least over here).
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Another vote for the Ferreira.

Second choices, but still quite good, are the Neipoort and Burmester.
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!
philton

Post by philton »

I've only had two 20 year tawnys that I can remember--the Dow and the Warre's Otima, which I am currently drinking. The Dow was fantastic, and turned me on to old Tawnys. The Otima, while good, with a beautiful burnished red color and a wonderful nuttiness, seems to have a little less caramel than I am finding I prefer. I think I need to try a few more to really get a sense of what is possible with a 20-year old tawny.
Jason Brandt Lewis

philton wrote:I've only had two 20 year tawnys that I can remember--the Dow and the Warre's Otima, which I am currently drinking . . .
Warre's Otima is a 10-Year Tawny.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

There is also a 20 yr Otima
Jason Brandt Lewis

Really??? Learn something new every day.

I've never seen it, nor is it mentioned on the Warre's website.
philton

Post by philton »

Actually, they mention it in the news sectionof the Warre's site.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I highly recommend the Warre's 20 year Otima. It's a wonderful tawny. Drier than most tawnys -- it's smooth and easy to drink, but also very lively. After I finish one glass -I want another. I can't say this about most tawnys - where I feel that one glass is enough. Just wonderful! I rate it 93 points.

-Dave-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Personally, I think the 10 year Otima is a waste of time for my palate. It is simple and sweet and made in a style to appeal to a very specific "demographic."

I had the 20 year Otima last year when it was first released. I begrudgingly put it in my mouth albeith the color was significantly different than the 10 year old. Wow, I was quite surprised to find a totally different beast and a HUGE step up in quality. It is not easy to find in many shops that do carry the 10, but in time it will be more available. Not up to par with the very finest 20 year old Tawnies but in the upper-middle tier of 20s, IMO.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jason Brandt Lewis

Roy Hersh wrote:Personally, I think the 10 year Otima is a waste of time for my palate. It is simple and sweet and made in a style to appeal to a very specific "demographic."
Couldn't have said it better myself, Roy.

That said, I'm glad to hear the 20 is apparently better. (Let's just say I'm not a fan of the 10 and leave it at that.)

I do find it odd, though, that the mention the 20 Year Old under "News" but not under "Wines." I wonder what I should make of that . . .

Cheers,
Jason
Matt M

Post by Matt M »

My favorite is Graham, followed by Dow and Fonseca. These three are all easy to find so I haven't really tried to find others....now maybe I will.
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

To be honest Roy I've passed this on the supermarket shelves many times and I think the label put me off I don't know why,but I'll give it a try :lol:
David Sweet

Post by David Sweet »

The one that started me on this marvelous new adventure was Cockburn's 20-year. May or may not be among the top tier, but it has begun this grand tour!!
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

I'm a big fan of the Cockburn 20 year as well. I've tried the Graham's 20 and wasn't impressed. It lacked the warming zingy finish that the Cockburn has.

I've been looking at the Niepoort. What is a reasonable price to pay for it in the US? I've seen it for $45.

Mike.