1961 Calem

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

A Beykovsky

1961 Calem

Post by A Beykovsky »

Anyone tried the 1961 Calem? Is it worth $160?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1961 Calem

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't recall having tried it. Are you talking about a VP or a Colheita?
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

It's a Colheita over on WineBid.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A Beykovsky wrote:Anyone tried the 1961 Calem? Is it worth $160?
Does it say when it was bottled? For me, that’s an important question related to how much I’m willing to spend on a colheita at auction.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Wine-Searcher rated it a 92. Wine Spectator rated it a 95. There were also 2 reviews on Wine-Searcher that rated it a 4 out of 5 (Very Good).
Jancis Robinson rated it on Wine-Searcher as well, but you have to be a paid subscriber to see her score. I suspect she rated it lower if the average wine critic score on there is a 92.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:34 am Does it say when it was bottled? For me, that’s an important question related to how much I’m willing to spend on a colheita at auction.
They have three bottles up for auction. One back label is pictured showing bottled in 2016. I suspect they all were bottled at the same time, as it looks like they came from the same source and the fronts look the same.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:34 am Does it say when it was bottled? For me, that’s an important question related to how much I’m willing to spend on a colheita at auction.
They have three bottles up for auction. One back label is pictured showing bottled in 2016. I suspect they all were bottled at the same time, as it looks like they came from the same source and the fronts look the same.
Four years in bottle is getting to the upper end of bottle age for that Producer, for a Colheita. Given the bottling date and the ~30% BP and taxes, that’s about $200/bottle. Not a horrible price but not a good deal either.

Given all the above that’s been said, if it were me I’d pass. However,If it’s for an anniversary year or other reason, like filling in a vertical or horizontal, then it’s a decent price for what sounds like a decent but not great tawny.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Available at the Norwegian State Monopoly for a price equivalent to abt USD 197.
The two wine journalists here in Norway that have most experience with port wine, are giving 91 pts and 93 pts.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, it looks like there is at least one of the 1961 Calem bottles still left at $160+BP. Sometimes winebid will drop the price after a while, but since the other two bottles already sold, I suspect this one will sell soon without a price drop.

They had three bottles of 1952 Burmester colheita for sale last week as well. I was outbid at $175, as the bottles ended up going for $185, $215, and $220 + BP.
Andrew Kirschner

Post by Andrew Kirschner »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 am Well, it looks like there is at least one of the 1961 Calem bottles still left at $160+BP. Sometimes winebid will drop the price after a while, but since the other two bottles already sold, I suspect this one will sell soon without a price drop.

They had three bottles of 1952 Burmester colheita for sale last week as well. I was outbid at $175, as the bottles ended up going for $185, $215, and $220 + BP.
I picked up one of the Burmesters. Sorry.
“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.”
-Charles Dickens
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:They had three bottles of 1952 Burmester colheita for sale last week as well. I was outbid at $175, as the bottles ended up going for $185, $215, and $220 + BP.
That's a pretty fabulous Colheita, so all 3 of those prices are good.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andrew Kirschner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:36 am I picked up one of the Burmesters. Sorry.
No worries. When travel returns to normal I'll stop by so you can open it. :lol: [cheers.gif]
Andrew Kirschner

Post by Andrew Kirschner »

I love to share!
“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.”
-Charles Dickens