2003 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

2003 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I drank the Vesuvio 03 last month. This was my initiation to this producer, and it rocked my world. Does anyone else feel that this wine is exceptionally awesome?:

This is a beautiful looking port - dark eggplant purple in the core transitioning to a glowing oxblood colored rim - very vibrant. After the first couple of hours in the decanter the nose remained quite closed, just not giving up much at all. After another couple of hours of decanting it really opened up with an intoxicating perfume of earth, blackberry, cherry, strawberry, flowers, and dark chocolate. On the palate it's decadent and elegant at the same time; there are layers and layers of sweet, ripe, dark fruit with a sumptuous and velvety texture backed by a sprinkling of black pepper and big chalky tannins. The finish is long and lingering. This will probably take a couple of decades at least before it fleshes out fully, but it is so expressive and the tannins are so well woven in that with sufficient decanting it's totally enjoyable right now. I was very curious to see how this would show after sitting in the decanter overnight - forget about it - it was way too good to stop sipping and was gone way too soon. It was one of those times that I wanted to cry when I saw the last drop dripping out of the decanter. This is a fantastic young port, I love it, and will definitely be going back for more to store away for the years to come. Close to perfect stuff in my book. Tasted 3/08
The Port Maverick
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Quinta do Vesuvio 2003

Post by Andy Velebil »

Great TN Lamont. The '03 Vesuvio is a monster VP that will easily last 3 decades and a favorite of mine from that vintage. Glad you enjoyed it, I know I have each time I've had it, and don't forget to save some for when they become old bones.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Come on! 3 decades? It can do that and then some. This is a ginormous VP.

Nice TN too!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Come on! 3 decades? It can do that and then some. This is a ginormous VP.

Nice TN too!
Yeah, but I want to start drinking some DURING my life time, so I tell myself that :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com