1977 Cockburn's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

nicos neocleous

1977 Cockburn's Vintage Port

Post by nicos neocleous »

Drunk on 08 October 2008 in a Cockburns vertical in London.

1977 Cockburn
This vintage was not officially declared by Cockburn unlike most other Port houses (with the notable exception of Quinta do Noval). Was this a huge mistake? We were about to find out. They did produce 2,000 bottles for the cellars of Cockburn. Strawberry red, with a hint of mint on the nose. The palate is quite dry and a touch austere for me. Fine length and body, a nice Port and in my humble opinion they were correct not to declare this vintage.
YOLO
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 1977 Cockburn

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting as I thought it still was young and had plenty of life ahead of it. IMO an outstanding VP that should have been declared. IMO, it was a shame they didn't declare it as it would easily be up in the ranks of the top VP's from '77. Even Miguel stated it was a mistake by the company not to declare it...but S*** happens as the saying goes.

And as a side, this is actually listed by Cockburn's as a "Crusted Port" and the corks are branded with "Crusted" on them, even though it is a true vintage Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com