Graham's 2007 offering just released

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Graham's 2007 offering just released

Post by Roy Hersh »

Draw your own conclusion$ and please don't shoot the messenger.

Please keep in mind, these will not be shipped until October

Graham's 2007 Vintage Port $86.99

96-99 Points! (James Suckling) Great nose of crushed blackberry, currant and grape skin. Full-bodied, dense and beautiful with big polished tannins and a long finish. Rated better than 1977 or 1955. Order by June 19th, Delivery: Oct 09

June Monthly Special reminder. We're offering Dow's 40 year for the low price of $125.00. That's down from $159.99. You save $34 per bottle.

Dow 40 Year Tawny $125.00 (750ml)

International Wine Challenge 2006 Port Trophy and Gold Medal! Attractive tawny color with grey tinges at rim. Intense nutty aroma, with hints of almond paste. Lovely intense richness, with a hint of citrus rind and a long finish. REG: $159 Save $34!

Shipping is a low $10 if you purchase 3, 4, or 5 bottles.
Purchase 6 or more, the shipping is FREE!

To view our wide selection vintage port wines, click here.

To view our vast colection of tawny port wines, click here.

To browse the entire store, click here.

Visit http://www.portwine2u.com to see our wide selection or ports again!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: Graham's 2007 offering just released

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Graham's 2007 Vintage Port $86.99
$68.50 at TCWC, but you'll have to pay for shipping (but not $18.49/bottle). I've seen some good prices at portwine2u.com, but this isn't one of them. No shooting intended in your direction Roy.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In fairness, I contacted the owner and found out that it was one of our :ftlop: participants and felt badly ... that I had forgotten that fact.

He explained where he is coming from and not trying to be the lowest price on winesearcher etc. I can totally understand and respect that. Winesearcher is a double edged-sword. On one hand it provides the consumer with the lowest price and people often times like that ... look at the success of Travelocity, Cheapseats, Expedia etc. for airlines/hotel tix, or Amazon.com for so many other items, even WALMart (which I hate). They all provide the value oriented consumer with low prices on commodity items.

That said, winesearcher.com may provide great prices but they don't account for bottles which have sat on shelves for a decade, gray market dealers and so many other issues ... as the person rightfully checking for a good deal, will more often than not ... get what they pay for, but on occasion get a raw deal because sometime you REALLY get what you pay for.

There is something to be said for spending a few dollars more from someone you can trust and who provides outstanding customer service. Your odds of getting relief when buying a few bottles for the first time, from an unknown retailer who has NO care about who you are and realizes you are buying from him because he has the lowest price on a particular item ... well, that is what makes the difference between a Costco (who stands behind their products) and certain other retail companies that promise great discounts, but try and return something and they then turn around and say, "didn't you read our return policy" before buying that? "Sorry!"

So, my apology to Mark for my earlier reference! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ironically, I didn't use wine-searcher to find that price. I just checked TCWC because I knew that had en premeur listings of all the big houses for 2007, and IMHO, they are a good merchant. And for these bottles, I doubt they'll be sitting on a shelf in either case. Since you brought it up Roy, I did check wine-searcher, and I'm surprised TCWC is the lowest. I suspect when shipments actually start coming in, somewhere else might be slightly lower.

Now if we want to say something good about Mark, we can do that. Personally, I have not bought from them, so I can't speak to their customer service. I can say that their sale price on the 40 year Dow is great, and as I said above, I have seen other listings from them that were very competitive, sometimes the lowest.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually my remark was not aimed at you Eric, nor had I checked winesearcher.com at all. It was just a general statement based on my own earlier post.
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner...

Wine-searcher is a good tool, but be very weary of who is on it. I refer people all the time to the site, especially when I get the "I found a bottle of so and so in grandpa's closet, label is blurry, but it says port, so how much is it worth?" kind of questions. I was on wine-searcher for awhile, Melanie is a great contact there, but for port, our clicks were hardly worth it. Red wine is the hot seller there. Some retailer's are fine, but watch out for the one's who come off cheaply, only to tack on extra service charges and shipping. You end up paying more. You would be very, very surprised. I know a guy who mark' up every bottle 20% (small by industry standards). But in the end, your credit card gets a whallop.

Roy is correct. Go with who you trust and know. What works for one company policy may not work for another.