1998 Quinta de Ventozelo LBV Port -- (400th FTLOP post)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1998 Quinta de Ventozelo LBV Port -- (400th FTLOP post)

Post by Roy Hersh »

Quinta de Ventozelo LBV 1998 - before visiting the Quinta in 2003, I had the opportunity to taste a couple of Ventozelo Ports at an IVDP tasting a year earlier. I was impressed with this undiscovered producer and looked forward to trying more.

The LBV from 1998 is a very dark magenta color and delivers light and lovely scents of violets, cassis and dark berry fruit followed by a touch of alcohol. The Ventozelo has a medium body, smooth mouthfeel and offers ripe flavors of chewy blackberry fruit that is followed by a bit too much spirit on the finish. I waited until the day after the bottle was opened to see if this would "blow off" to give it a second chance, but it did not. Otherwise, it is a perfectly user-friendly LBV. 86 points.
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Roy,

I've not heard about this quinta before. Care to provide any additional information?

Cheers,
Jason
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

I'd like some info on this quinta as well. The LCBO (Liqour Control Board of Ontario) has this 98 LBV as well as 2000 VP in 375ml and 750ml though a little pricey at 37cdn and 70cdn respectively.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Mwaters, I've tasted the 2000 and 2001 VP so far from this Quinta and I can't say I was impress. Both lacking depth a VP should have and showing too much spirity alchool in its youth. The jammy fruit is nice though but again without intensity... This is not a Quinta I would recommend buying at these prices, Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse are way better.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

Thanks Fred!
Kevin B. Kelly

Post by Kevin B. Kelly »

I have had their 10 year old tawny and it was one of the best I have had, only eclipsed by Niepoort's, but barely so. On the other hand, I have also had their Ruby Reserve which was only average.

------------------------
Kevin B. Kelly
A Port Enthusiast
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

I bought the 20 y old tawny Ventozelo the other day. I hadn't heard of this house before. I found it in a wineshop in Antwerp (Belgium). Not to expensive, € 24. I will report back when I've tried it.

Monique.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Monique: Henri Bloem imports it into the Netherlands. All shops have a pretty complete range of their products.